Personal Liability Umbrella Insurance Policy (PUP)
What is personal umbrella insurance?
Personal umbrella insurance provides coverage beyond your homeowners insurance or auto insurance by adding an extra layer of liability coverage. Coverage is provided in $1,000,000 increments. Umbrella insurance also covers situations that may not be covered by another policy such as slander or libel.
The umbrella policy coverage “kicks in” where your existing coverage ends, up to limit of the umbrella policy purchased.
Personal Umbrella Protection covers:
- Operating most motor vehicles, including cars, RVs, motorcycles, pickup trucks, and most watercraft
- Incidents involving any property covered by your basic homeowners policy
- Incidents alleging slander, libel, defamation of character, invasion of privacy, even false arrest
- Business liability coverage is provided if covered by your basic homeowners policy
Do you need a PUP?
Typically customers who may need a Personal Umbrella Policy are people:
- With children – especially teenage drivers and children in college
- With toys – motorcycle, boat, ATV, snowmobile and more
- With a swimming pool or trampoline
- Who own rental properties or secondary residences
- With a large nest egg
- Who coach youth sports teams
- Who hunt
- With dogs
- Who travel
With Permission © Insurance Information Institute, Inc. – ALL RIGHTS RESERVED –