Owning a home is a dream for many, and once that dream becomes a reality for you, it is vitally important to protect your investment. Southeastern Insurance provides quality home insurance for residents of Belmont that will give you confidence that your home has proper protection.
Belmont is a flourishing small city in North Carolina with an average home value of about $102,000. When choosing a homeowner’s insurance policy there are some items to look out for depending on your specific situation.
• Coverage – Generally, most basic policies do not cover flood or earthquake damage. If your home is a high-risk area, then you may need to acquire additional coverage for such potential dangers. Home insurance will commonly protect against damage from fire, wind, hail, snow, sleet, falling aircraft or other objects, vehicle collisions and theft. However, you should closely look over the policy to ensure that you have all the coverage you desire. If you are unsure, ask the insurance agent for details on any type of coverage. Make sure that the agent points this out in the written policy itself rather than simply relying on their word.
• Coverage amount – In addition to covering only specific types of damage, home insurance policies will also have an upper limit on the amount they will pay out in benefits in case of a claim. In order to ensure that you have full protection in case of a complete loss of your property, the coverage amount must equal or exceed the value of your home. If you have only $80,000 of coverage and your home costs $100,000 to rebuild, you will need to pay the additional $20,000. Generally, the higher the coverage amount, the higher premiums you will need to pay.
• Asset coverage – In addition to covering your house and lot, home insurance can also provide coverage for personal belonging on your property. Most policies will provide coverage of up to 40 percent of the policy maximum for personal asset coverage. If you have many valuable items on your property like antiques, jewelry and valuable clothing, you may want to consider obtaining extra coverage for your belongings.
• Liability – Most home insurance policies will provide a certain amount of liability insurance. This type of coverage protects you in case someone other than the home’s residents should injure themselves while on your property. For example, if someone walking up to your front door slips on a wet walkway. Liability coverage will pay up to a specific amount in case that person successfully sues you for negligence. In some cases, liability insurance may also protect you against damage that occurs on a neighbor’s property. For example, if a tree in your yard falls over and damages your neighbor’s house or if your dog destroys your neighbor’s garden.
• Exceptions – Study the policy and take note of any exceptions that may apply to the coverage. For example, some policies may not pay out benefits if damage to your home results from reckless behavior on your part. Some of these exceptions might surprise you. For example, some policies may require you to disclose all tenants on the property. If you have unpaid property taxes when your enrolled for the policy that could also count as an exception.
• Term – This is the period that your coverage is active. Make sure the policy is active when you move into your home for complete coverage.
Premiums in Belmont
Typical home insurance premiums will range between about $350 and $900 for most properties. Rates can vary depending on a number of factors including the policy provider. The rate will also depend on certain aspects of your home including the completion date, the foundation type, the lot size, heat source, and number of bedrooms and bathrooms.
Additionally, you can receive premium discounts when your home has specific safety systems or devices such as fire alarms, smoke detectors, burglar alarms and dead bolts.
Why the insurance provider matters
Choosing the right provider can make a big difference in the amount you pay on your policy premiums. Additionally, insurance companies can vary widely in the type and quality of customer service they provide
Some companies may resist paying benefits when their customers make a claim. They can cause great headaches and stress during a period when the client is already dealing with a crisis.
A reliable insurance provider will respond rapidly when the client needs to file a claim. All the paperwork processing will complete quickly so that the customer can immediately start receiving benefits. They will provide courteous and friendly service to the customer at all times.
Southeastern Insurance provides specialized insurance services in the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama. Customers can save hundreds of dollars in costs by choosing us. In addition to providing homeowner’s insurance, we offer auto, life and other types of coverage.
We are based out of Wilmington, North Carolina and we know homes and insurance in the Belmont area.
We provide prompt and courteous customer service at all times. To find out more on how you can save on home insurance, please contact one of our friendly representatives today by calling 800.601.7829.